Blogs can be really profitable and are actually very easy to set up and maintain. Like I said in the last post called how to make money online blogging, you can set up a blog in less than five minutes. yep, five minutes!
In this article, we are going to look at the options you can choose in setting up your first blog. Interested? Read on!
First, we need to obtain a blog. That’s, a blogging software and then host it or have it hosted. There are several options here. The first option is to host your blog on your own domain and the second option is to get a free blog.
How to set up your first blog on your own domain.
If you don’t know what a domain name is, the domain name of this website is makemoneyonlineinkenya.com. Here are the steps involved in registering your domain name and setting up your blog.
1. Register a domain: If you already have a registered domain, great. Otherwise, you can register a domain by going to a domain registrar of your choice. I personally use namecheap.com and I like their service. They have a great domain management tools and are less than $10 a year ($9.69 the last time I checked)
2. Set up a hosting account. You need to get a web host. Your web host provides you with a server where your website is stored. So it’s like the house in which your website resides. There are many web hosting service providers today to choose from. I personally use Hostgator and I’ve had a nice experience with them.
3. Install your blog software: Once you have had your domain registered and hosted on your server, you will now install the blogging software. My favorite blog software is wordpress which is by the way an open source software (free) and yet very powerful.There are also very many wordpress themes that you can use to make your blog attractive and niche themed.
Tip: If you use a reliable web host, they should have a one step installation process for wordpress using a feature called “Fantastico Deluxe” or “Fantastico Autoinstaller”. The process takes less than one minute.
How to set up a free blog
I still feel that having your blog hosted on your own domain and server is the best option since it gives you lots of options but if you aren’t technically inclined or just want to get a feel of blogging before you can set one on your own domain, you may consider setting up a free blog.
You can obtain a free blog at www.blogger.com or wordpress.org. Blogger.com is owned by Google but WordPress.com is much newer (and better!). WordPress is better in the sense that it is It’s robust and infinitely expandable with more advanced features such as Trackbacks. You can also manage your sidebar links more efficiently
Get a free Blogger or WordPress blog. Then, familiarize yourself by posting your first post on your blog and tinkering around with the options and templates.
Here are a few common “blog-related” words to help you out:
1) Permalink – Permalink stands for permanent link, which is a URL (uniform resource locator) that leads to an individual post that you make in your blog.
2) Trackback – When you post about someone else’s blog post elsewhere, your post will show up in their “trackback” section. This feature, however, is not available with a Blogger.com account.
3) Pinging – Blogging seems to be paired with pinging almost every time either one is mentioned nowadays. Pinging is actually the action where a certain aggregator is notified whenever your blog is updated, so that the aggregator may show the newest post of your blog on their website. This is a useful way to gain traffic.
For now, I shall leave you testing out your new blog and the features that come included with it. In the next articles, we shall discuss the many ways we can gain profit from a blog, as well as tips on how to write posts that keep visitors glued and keep coming back for more!
If you enjoyed reading this article or have any questions or comments about it, please leave them by using the form below. Your feedback is greatly honored and appreciated.
See you ate the top!